STARTUP CITY - PITCH CONTEST
WCNC, bridging wireless industry, academia and government
The Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC) is organized by the prestigious IEEE Communications Society. WCNC 2018 is the 15th edition of the event, and will be held in Barcelona.
WCNC is the world's premier wireless event that brings together industry professionals, academics, and individuals from government agencies and other institutions to exchange information and ideas on the advancement of wireless communications and networking technology.
The conference addresses all aspects of wireless communications, ranging from fundamentals at the physical layer to applications and services, and encompassing networks and experimentation. Hence, it gives a full coverage of technical aspects of wireless communications, namely those addressing 5G (the incoming 5th Generation of mobile and wireless communications), as well as their application to many sectors, like health, transportations, energy, and smart cities, among many others.
Barcelona, a fast-growing startup hub
Barcelona is well-known for its great climate, stunning architecture, delicious food and successful soccer team. Also known as the Mobile World Capital, Barcelona is home to many successful tech companies such as Privalia, eDreams or Softonic.
Featured in Wired Magazine, the city has “an influx of international investment and global big-hitters”, which makes it a fast-growing, dynamic startup hub.
Located at the edge of Barcelona’s innovation district, IEEE WCNC 2018 will be a catalyst for bringing together international academia and industry to help foster new connections and ideas.
WCNC 2018 Startup City
We’re looking for startups in the wireless ecosystem to join the WCNC Startup City, which was launched at the 2017 edition of WCNC in Silicon Valley. Concept stage to revenue-generating businesses are eligible.
Participating startups will pitch conference delegates and patrons about their company, products and technology for a chance to win the WCNC 2018 Hottest Wireless Startup award.
Startup showcase sessions will run in parallel to technical sessions on April 18. Startups will have 10 minutes to pitch, plus 5 minutes of Q&A by judges. Startups will be judged by a distinguished panel of 5 technology and business experts. The award for the most innovative startup will be announced after the last showcase.
Startups must apply online, at the WCNC 2018 website (see button 'Apply Now' below)
Submissions will be reviewed by WCNC 2018 Industry Co-Chairs and selected startups will receive an invitation to pitch at WCNC 2018 Startup City.
Confirmed Startup City Judges so far:
- Dr. Manuel Sosa, Director of the Heinrich and Esther Baumann–Steiner Fund for Creativity and Business at INSEAD Business School
- Josep Miquel Piqué, President at the International Association of Science Parks and Areas of Innovation (IASP)
- Dr. Farid Singh, Intrapreneur, Blue Ocean Strategist & Innovation Expert at Telefónica
- WCNC 2018 Hottest Wireless Startup Award: plaque and diploma in recognition to the best startup pitch.
- Benefit from La Salle Technova incubator services: 3-month free enrollment in their mentorship program, with access to a pool of elite entrepreneurs, external consultants and investors.
- Increased visibility for your startup: Media awareness via widely-distributed press release, as well as publicity on the conference’s website and participating startup incubators, such as Technova.
- Complimentary registration on the day of the Startup City contest. A full registration will be required to participants willing to attend the rest of the conference.
- Opportunity to showcase your product in the conference’s has a well-known exhibitor area to gain maximum exposure to the conference attendees. View information about cost and dimensions of booths >>
The organization is also working to expand the reach of the contest with investors and related startup events in Barcelona, such as 4 Years from Now or EU Startup Summit. Stay tuned for updates!
- Deadline for online applications: February 28, 2018.
- Notification of acceptance and invitation to pitch: March 15, 2018.
- Pitch decks in PDF format: March 30, 2018.
Want to know more? Email email@example.com